Unlike analog oscillators that need an external modulator like a LFO or another VCO the FMVDO has an internal phase locked sine wave modulator. This phase locking to the carrier oscillator´s phase produces beat-free timbres that retain spectral relationships over the whole frequency range. The FM index function controls the modulation depth from 0% to 314% while the ratio tunes the modulator to 32 special integral frequencies that are relative to the carrier´s frequency. These features make a very stable FM possible. The ratio can be switched to non-integer frequencies though, for producing inharmonic periodic sounds.
Besides the basic waves sine, triangle, sawtooth and pulse with PWM the carrier oscillator also has a dual pulse with PWM, staircase random with controllable interpolation and finally 10 sample based wavetables. The frequency can be set coarse and fine with two controls.
- voltage controlled parameters: FM index, ratio, wave form selection, PWM/AM
- frequency range of 18 octaves: Low: 0.040Hz-40Hz and High: 10Hz-10kHz.
- Output: /-5V or 10Vpk-pk at 1Kohms
- Input CV 0-10V at 100Kohms
- crystal tuning stability of /-0.005% tracking accuracy over 18 octaves
- 32-bit NCO - 50 micro-Hertz resolution (no zippering)
- 32-bit pseudorandom noise generator - no repetition in 119 hours at lowest frequency
- 90° phase shifted quadrature secondary output
- 1V/oct input with chromatic quantization (switchable)
- audio and LFO range (switchable)
- CV inputs for 1V/octave, exponential FM, waveform selection, FM index, ratio PWM/AM
- Sync input
- outputs: 0° und 90°
3U Eurorack module, 12HP wide, ca. 25mm deep.
Power: 80mA @ +12V and 10mA @ -12V