One hundred wavetables in the ROM and ten memory slots for user defined wavetables are for your disposal; they are selected with the Bank Select switch and the red encoder.
Your own wavetables can be loaded via USB or recorded directly into the module: set Bank Select to USER, select desired memory slot, then set Bank Select to "Record" to arm recording and flip the 1st destination switch to "Travel". The audio signal is inserted to the "In1" socket; "Gain" adjusts the level and "Position" the compression. The recording is either gate activated or when audio level is louder than the programmed threshold.
The wavetable scannig i.e. the successive readout of the waves within the selected wavetable, can happen in a number of ways. "Position" selects the initial waveform which on the scanning takes place.
"Travel" is an internal modulator with three modes:
- Free corresponds to a LFO whose rate and modulation direction can be set with one knob or modulated via control voltages (see below).
- Gated lets the modulation pass only when a gate at the input is high. The gate also retriggers the modulation.
- Step is gate-dependent as well but it is not resetted. It proceeds successively thru the wavetable piece by piece.
Compared to older Waldorf synths the nw1's wavetable engine has been enhanced and offers new parameters:
- Spectrum moves the spectrum up or down without influencing the pitch. Sounds partially like a wave multiplier.
- Brilliance sharpens or flattens the sound's spectral peaks.
- Keytrack determines if the spectrum will follow the 1V/octave voltage (like in classic wavetable synths) or stands still which rather resembles a filter bank. In 50% setting sometimes frequency beatings occur. Soundwise this parameter is to be placed in between PWM and a wave shaper, roughly said.
- Noisy sets how accurately the wavetable playback is rendered. The less accurate, the more noise and chaos will be added.
Soundwise there four parameters make the nw1 flexible to such an extent that you can omit a filter after the module.
For all the parameters of the nw1 three scalable CV inputs are available whose modulation destinations can be determined with switches:
- CV 1: can be routed to Tune, Brillance or Travel
- CV 2: Tune, Position or Travel
- CV 3: Spectrum, Position or Noisy
gate input, 1V/oct frequency CV input, 3 assignable CV inputs
3U Eurorack module, 32HP wide
power consumption: 150mA
This item is discontinued or sold out and no longer available, please feel free to look for comparable new stuff in the following categories.